Sunday, May 3, 2009

Kick off to Tulip Time

Friday marked the start of Tulip Time and the fireworks show at Kollen's Park. Our plan was to have dinner at Boatowerks and stay to watch the fireworks from their deck. After hearing there was an hour and 45 min wait to be seated we decided to head to City Vu. I had a gift card so we only had to pay $2. Gotta love it! I got stuffed chicken and Keith got the New Orleans Flatbread. Our appetizer was cold when they brought it to us (we didn't complain) so the waiter had the kitchen make us a new one and we got to bring the cold appetizer home :) Instead of fighting the crowds at Kollen's Park we decided to take in the show from 8th street (with a martini) :)


If you are reading this blog yet today, you can see by the current conditions to the right that the weather here has been awesome. Perfect for the Art and Craft show at Centennial park. After going to some garage sales on saturday morning (I got just a few things including a princess dress with butterfly wings for Macey) I had fun walking around the park. It wasn't super busy yet so I was able to get a good look at everything without other people in the way. Here are Aunt Jean and Uncle Scott and their booth.

One of my purchases

Me and sis before our dance yesterday (I'm not crazy about my hat...)Our dancing spot was conveniently located right in front of Jean and Scott's booth on the corner of 12th and Central. We had a big crowd and since we were on the end it seemed like there was an especially big crowd around us. I was surprised at how nervous I felt! I think we did pretty good and it really was so much fun. Lots of tourists wanted to take pictures with us (meaning be IN the picture with us). We felt like celebrities for a minute there. I was asked by one tourist if all of us dancers were really dutch. And I had several come up and ask if the shoes were uncomfortable. They seem to be awe of the fact that we dance in them. Growing up in Holland you don't think twice about walking around in wooden shoes but I guess it it a little crazy.
We need to get someone make a costume for Dolly next year

I worked up an appetite after dancing so we walked down to 8th street for some deep fried goodness...
I decided to try a funnel cake this year which is something I've never had. It was more crispy than doughy. Not bad but I think I will stick with the elephant ear from now on.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Mace will be excited about the princess dress! Can't wait to see you dance on Wednesday!

The Hambergulars said...

Bren - It was so much fun to watch you dance the other day - you did a GREAT job! I'll be posting some pictures soon....

Thanks, too, for visiting us at our booth. We had great fun all weekend - what with the beautiful weather and all....

Em said...

It was good to see you. I have some pictures of you dancing. I will post them! :)

Carol Sue said...

Looks like great weather and you look so darn cute in your Dutch Dance costume. You are a celebrity in my book