Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A little get-a-way for the day

With a couple of doctors out of the office, I was given yesterday off from work. Keith was able to take the afternoon off so we decided to head down to Saugatuck. It kind of felt like we were among the lucky few who get to escape Michigan for a week of warm weather and spring break fun. Yeah it was only for a few hours but we only had to drive 10 minutes from home :) We started at Wally's for their perch dinner. Warm enough to eat on the patio. They had quite the crowd hanging out there celebrating St. Patty's Day (some even dressed in kilts) so that made things fun! Did a little shopping after that and then decided to go inside Phil's.



Phil's doesn't look like much from the outside but I was surprised at how nice it was inside. Being 3:00 in the afternoon it wasn't very busy with just a handful of people inside. The owner was bar tending and when I told him I wasn't sure what I felt like drinking he brought out a bottle of Firefly sweet tea flavored vodka. It's made in South Carolina and is only available in the south (unless you special order). He says it's hard to keep on the shelves down there. People love it. He mixed it with Lemonade and 7-Up for me. Wow, very good!Next we headed over to the White House Bistro. I had a $25 gift certificate which I bought on restaurant.com for $8. When I looked at the menu online I was picturing this place to be upscale and fancy. Not so much the case at all. It's actually in an old white house built in 1863. Very unique inside. They also had a patio where I enjoyed a F.A.B martini. Not sure what that stands for but it had banana, coconut, and chocolate and was delicious. Dressing the patio up for St. Patrick's Day....looks like Einstein doesn't he?
Moved inside for dinner. We got this cool appetizer of cheese that they lit of fire and yelled "O-pa!" We dipped pita trianlges in the melted cheese. I had a really good chicken wrap for dinner. Their menu had lots of good stuff on it and we definitely will be coming back here again. Keith looks thrilled that I have to take a picture of everything...

It was a fun day and I'm glad we tried a couple of new places. Makes me crave summer even more...

2 comments:

The Hambergulars said...

Glad you had a fun day, Bren, and it's nice that the weather cooperated, too. We've also been to the White House Bistro - it's a fun place, and you're right, the owner looks like Einstein! He's quite the character, as I recall!

Rachel Nykerk said...

My friend Eileen was telling me about a restaurant in Detroit they used to go to and they yelled Opa, then she told me about over Christmas, while at home, when she reached over a candle with her robe on and her robe went entirely into flames, she told her husband later and he said, did everyone shout Opa !